PC Tools launch BETA version of iAntiVirus
San Francisco, 26 June 2008: Leading security software vendor, PC Tools, today announced the launch of iAntiVirus BETA Edition, a light weight anti-virus and anti-spyware tool, designed specifically for the Mac operating system. Providing real-time protection and comprehensive system scanning, iAntiVirus is designed to detect and remove Mac specific threats, to ensure your Mac remains safe. This launch coincides with Apple’s recommendation to install and use anti-virus software to scan files, in its recently released Security Configuration Guide.
“Despite the misconception that the Mac OS is inherently secure, internal research has signaled a change in the number of threats targeting this platform. PC Tools recognize that while the Mac platform is relatively safe, it is not impervious to malware” said Simon Clausen, Chief Executive Officer, PC Tools.
PC Tools’ Malware Research Team have identified a range of malware specifically targeting Mac OS X. While virus detections are minimal there is a tendency towards socially engineered threats with the core purpose of tricking the user into an action that will cause a malware infection. Research conducted in the first quarter of 2008 found that 95% of all Mac malware threats identified were OSX related, of which 38% were keyloggers, 30% were hacking tools, 11% were backdoors, whilst just 2% were viruses1.
PC Tools are confident that, as the threat landscape continues to evolve and the market for Mac products escalates, the Mac operating system will become an increasingly attractive platform of attack.
"The Mac has a solid reputation for remaining relatively threat free. However, we are witnessing the use of low level malware scripts, to identify whether there is the potential to infect the Mac OS, as well as the opportunity for malware producers to obtain a significant return on investment" said Clausen.
“It is also important to note that whilst Mac OS attacks may not have proliferated widely; the payload they deliver is just as significant as it is in the Windows environment. It is for this reason that we see an increasing need for consumers to protect their Macs against the growing danger of malware infection. We are encouraging Mac users to become more vigilant about security, particularly given the widespread propagation of socially engineered threats affecting most operating systems” said Clausen.
Based on an increasing need for Mac consumers to seek out protection for the Mac environment, PC Tools have developed iAntiVirus which provides real-time and comprehensive system scanning to detect and remove Mac specific threats. iAntiVirus detects and removes viruses, spyware, keyloggers, Trojans and in particular socially engineered threats which, for example, can propagate without user awareness through instant messenger and P2P file sharing applications.
“Uniquely, the iAntiVirus database is a dedicated Mac only solution that does not contain unnecessary information about Windows based threats, that do not execute on a Mac. This has allowed us to develop a product that keeps the memory footprint and system resource usage to an absolute minimum” said Clausen. “In addition to a full range of features, iAntiVirus is also designed with an interface that is familiar, simple and functional, making it easy for users to scan, remove and manage infections and threats” said Clausen.
- Customized Mac protection: iAntiVirus detection technology has been designed exclusively for the Mac operating system - to detect and remove Mac specific and socially engineered threats. The iAntiVirus database does not contain unnecessary information about Windows-based threats and is a dedicated Mac only solution.
- Minimal system impact: iAntiVirus is designed to work silently in the background when in monitoring mode - threats are automatically blocked and removed with minimal system impact. A small alert window is displayed to advise you that your Mac has been protected against an attack.
- Simple, Functional and Familiar: Just like Mac OS, iAntiVirus has been designed with the user in mind. The interface is functional, familiar and user-friendly, making it simple to scan, remove and manage detected infections.
- Real-time protection: Protects your Mac against infections in real time by automatically placing detected infections in quarantine, allowing you to also view and restore items, if required. When an infection is detected and blocked, an alert is displayed below the system menu bar (example alerts are provided below).
- Custom Scan options: You may perform a variety of scan types using iAntiVirus, allowing you to strike a balance between how comprehensive the scan is and the time taken to execute the scan.
Current Version: BETA
File Size: 3206KB
Requirements: Intel based Mac with OSX.5 (10.5) and 15MB of free disk space
Cost: Free, US$ 29.95 full support & business use
NOTE TO EDITOR
The full range of features can be found at www.iantivirus.com . Please consult the iAntiVirus blog covering the latest discoveries and research by PC Tools including viruses, spyware and malware on Mac OSX systems blog.iantivirus.com.
About PC Tools
PC Tools is a global software leader with a cache of security and utility products, including the multi award-winning Spyware Doctor®. PC Tools is an industry leader in real-time anti-spyware and has a number of key patents pending.
The PC Tools Malware Research Centre monitors trends and emerging spyware issues and provides security solutions for the consumer and enterprise marketplace. The company is headquartered in Sydney, with offices in San Francisco, London, Shannon (Ireland), Melbourne, Kiev, and Boulder. PC Tools has a global network of distributors, resellers, and retailers.
Public Relations Manager
PC Tools Software
Phone: +61 (0) 2 8922 6394
Mobile: +61 410 541 562
PC Tools Software
Phone: +61 (0) 3 9691 3576
Mobile: +61 411 156 152
1Research conducted by PC Tools during Q1 2008 gathered from iAntiVirus signature database of over 70 Mac specific malware threats.